About Digital Preservation
Digital encoding has become the dominant way in which we create, shape and exchange information, but this dependence carries many risks.
- As digital technology advances, hardware and software may become outmoded and information may become inaccessible
- Other users may be unable to understand or use data
- Access and use restrictions may make it difficult for others to re-use data
- The ability to identify the location of data may be lost
- The current custodian of the data may cease to exist
- The ones we trust to look after the digital holdings may let us down
Today’s research community must assume responsibility for building a robust data and information infrastructure for the future. Digital preservation is too big an issue for individual institutions or even sectors to address on their own. The answer to these challenges calls for coordinated approaches on both national and international level.
Save the Date: 10-11 Dec 2013
APARSEN Training Event – Sustainability: Securing the Value of Digital Data Assets (The Hague, the Netherlands)
The APARSEN project is delighted to announce that registration has opened for our latest training event focusing on issues relating to sustainability and digital preservation. The training aims at presenting state of the art developments in relation to four key sustainable preservation practices. These are:
- The infrastructural dimension through the analysis of suitable storage solutions that help enable reliable permanent access
- The operational dimension through the identification, evaluation and proposal of competitive Digital Preservation Services
- The monitoring and performance management of DP activities through cost models and their components
- The underlying business dimension of digital preservation sustainability by means of modern management approaches and instruments such as value propositions, business cases and business modelling
The training will be offered as a mix of expert presentations, group exercises and discussion.
See more here…
Save the Date: 5-6 February 2014
APA International Conference on Digital Preservation and Development of Trusted Digital Repositories:
The Centre of Excellence for Digital Preservation, C-DAC, India and Alliance for Permanent Access (APA), EU are pleased to announce the APA International Conference on Digital Preservation and Development of Trusted Digital Repositories to be held at New Delhi, India, during 5-6 February 2014.
The call for papers is open see more…